Still doing the dishes by hand today. It did get delivered, but the installer immediately saw a problem. The panel attached to the dishwasher door is split in two, therefore the model we choose (on which the panels slide over de machine’s door) is unsuitable for our kitchen. Very frustrating when you realise how much research I already did to find a model that to fit in our kitchen. The global supply of new dishwashers is drying up due to slow deliveries due to the pandemic and shortage of microchips. When I first ordered a dishwasher, my preferred model was on stock and two mouse clicks later was out of stock. I suspect all the machines were bought by a kitchen selling company, whom I’ve heard also struggle to stock enough electronic devices for their customers. So today we had to make a quick decision to order a different type of dishwasher. We switched from AEG to Siemens (a bit more expensive) and settled for a model lacking the feature of opening the door after finishing a wash cycle. At least this one was in stock. Could be delivered tomorrow, however we don’t want to install it ourselves so we have to wait another two weeks before the machine gets installed. Another two weeks of doing the dishes by hand. Annoying, but we’ll survive.

One interesting turn of events. The Man discovered our preferred model became available as a ‘second chance’ model. It was returned and repaired and ready for sale. We decided to take a chance and swop the order for this model, since it ticks all the boxes we were looking at the beginning. Fingers crossed our gamble pays of in the long run (as in the repaired model will turn out not to be a faulty model).

Next episode in two weeks!


P.S.: the installers didn’t come for nothing. We ordered a new fridge at the same time. That one is quietly doing its work while I’m typing this. This kitchen upgrade makes the Man happy since he was the one mopping water from the bottom of the fridge the past few weeks. We should have replaced that old beast four years ago when we moved in, but it was sort of doing its job and expensive to replace. And also needed solving of the bottom plank puzzle.